Here’s an example of how you could start your conversation.
Also feel free to speak from the heart and add your own experience:
- Hi, my name is _______ and I live in (your city/ riding). I’m calling to urge the BC government to introduce paid sick days!
- We are now in phase three of the recovery period from the pandemic but we have yet to receive paid sick leave. Medical experts say that the second wave of COVID-19 is imminent. Workers need to feel comfortable to stay home from work if they have COVID-related symptoms while having the assurance they’ll still get paid.
- Access to paid sick days shouldn’t depend on income level. 89% of workers in BC earning less than $30,000/ year don’t have paid sick days. We need to fix this by providing workers with paid sick days under the BC Employment Standards Act.
- The Employment Standards Act should immediately provide for paid sick leave for at least 21 days for employees for the duration of the emergency, without a minimum employment requirement and without a requirement for proof of sickness.
- After the COVID-19 public health emergency workers will still need paid sick days. So, the Employment Standards Act have paid sick leave accrued based on hours worked with a minimum of one hour of paid sick time for every 35 hours worked. (7 days of paid sick time for a full-time 35hr/ week worker)