J.L. reached out to the Retail Action Network shortly after being fired by the Market On Yates management without cause. After 2 years of working there, Jacob was put on notice for calling in sick for anxiety.

Help us get an apology from the Market On Yates management, and to change policy so that this doesn’t happen again.

Please read the details here, as told to us by J.L.:

Dear friends, former coworkers, and Market On Yates customers,

My name is J.L. I began working as a grocery clerk at the Market On Yates in the summer of 2014. I am writing to you because I was fired without cause from the Market On Yates, and feel that I have been discriminated against because of a health condition.

For much of my adult life, I have struggled with anxiety. The store manager, Doug Bourque, was aware of this before I became full-time and eligible for benefits, which included paid sick days.

Doug had told me that I was one of the better employees; did a great job in the two years that I worked there; and stated how I never called in sick or missed a day of work over the first couple of years as an employee at the Market on Yates.

On July 29th, 2016, I was scheduled to work in the evening. That morning, I had a massive anxiety attack. I was vomiting, crying, breathing too fast, and felt like I was going to die from a heart attack. I called in to work at 11am that morning to let my manager know that I couldn’t come in to work. I was trying to calm myself down. Work called me back at 2:53pm and said that I had to come in.

They told me that anxiety attacks are in the same category as a hangover, and that if I didn’t come in I could lose my full-time hours.

This elevated my anxiety to the max and I was not myself. My mom tried to calm me down but could not. She ended up walking with me to work while I was disheveled and still experiencing the anxiety attack. I felt publicly embarrassed as I walked into the Market on Yates. The Market on Yates Owner, Darryl Hein, sat me down in his office and made me feel that I was completely in the wrong.

Darryl told me that I couldn’t call in sick for anxiety, to “man up”, and that this “isn’t high school”.

Darryl told me to go outside and think about my decision carefully for the next twenty minutes. I sat outside and my anxiety attack worsened. My mom tried to calm me down, and my work friends were asking if I was alright. I went back inside and told my boss that I was going to go to the doctor. As I left I projectile vomited.

I went to the doctor and was prescribed medication and told to schedule another appointment. The next day I was called into Darryl’s office and he told me that what happened was unacceptable and better not happen again.

The message seemed clear: that calling in sick was not tolerated. From this point on, I did everything I could to make it to work, even if I were sick.

On August 12th, 2016, I went to work even though I wasn’t feeling well. I had to leave a couple hours early from my shift because I was vomiting at work. The next day, I was called into Doug’s office:

Doug threatened my full-time status again, refused to pay me sick pay and told me that I was unreliable and “on his radar”.

In early September, I called in sick to work because I caught the flu that was going around my workplace. Over the phone, Doug told me to “man up” and to come in to work, whether I was sick or not. He hung up on me, leaving me worried.

On Sept 9th, 2016, my doctor told me I had to take 5 days off before returning to the Market on Yates. I was hesitant to take that much time off work, but I brought in a doctor’s note that day.

On Sept 14th, 2016, when I returned to work, I asked Doug about whether I could get sick pay for any of the days that I had been unable to work due to my health. Doug said that he could pick and choose whether he approves sick time, and that I wasn’t going to get paid. I told him that I felt mistreated and embarrassed since my anxiety attack happened in July.

Later that day, Doug called me into his office while I was on shift. He told me he was firing me. Without explanation, he said they would give me two weeks severance and I should get my personal belongings and leave.

Please take this letter as a sincere call to action against discrimination and unfair dismissal.

Sincerely,

J.L.

Since the time of this complaint, the Retail Action Network has heard from multiple other Market On Yates current and former employees. Here are some of their statements:

“When I was hired, I let the manager know of my past and present struggles with depression and anxiety. One day, I had an anxiety attack upon coming to work, and had placed my head down on the staff room table and was crying. I was later called into the manager’s office and told that I couldn’t “mope” around and was told to stop. Since then, I felt targeted, and my schedule from that point on put me in a position where I had to quit. I had worked at the Market on Yates for two years.”

Former Cashier, Market On Yates, 2016Market On Yates

“When I was promoted from a grocery supervisor to dairy manager, it was made clear to me that I was not allowed to call in sick. If I was ill, I would have to come in for at least the first couple of hours to complete important orders for the next day’s milk delivery. When a serious illness came I had to miss two consecutive days of work. Despite having a doctor’s note, I was notified by the store manager that grocery manager Doug Bourque wanted me fired. The compromise they had agreed upon was my demotion from a department manager and grocery supervisor to a regular clerk position, and that I would have to report face-to-face to Doug on a daily basis. I was uncomfortable with this decision and the form of passive-aggresive bullying that this new situation would involve, so I decided to resign.”

Former dairy manager, Market on Yates, 2011Market On Yates

93 Comments

• Leslie Robinson says:

is there an update about this case?

• JRDawson says:

We have shopped at Market on Yates since moving to Victoria and will NEVER walk through their doors again. This is disgusting.

Make an impact and list your experience on their GOOGLE MAP listing! We review all businesses and reataurants before ever darkening their door.

• BananaBoat says:

I shop at the Market all the time and the staff suck. 99% of them need to realise that they are at work, where you’re supposed to actually work. I’m not surprised the owner and managers get pissed off at staff for being lazy wimps. The staff seem like typical millennials who cry at the idea of being expected to work. I have no sympathy for this guy or any of the staff there who I see standing around doing nothing while there are customers who need/want help. Even the older staff have a shitty attitude. Sorry you’re expected to work for a living. That’s life, get used to it. I’ll continue to shop here and support managers who actually stand up to these goofs and don’t let them be crybaby millennials with no strength whatsoever. This guy’s mom needs a good slap too for raising such a person.

• Who_The_Owl says:

I worked retail in Victoria for years and have a chronic illness where certain hours of the day make me sick if I have to extend myself in the ways that working requires. There was a man who worked at my workplace who was given shifts where he could start work two hours later than everyone else because he had multiple jobs. I needed to do this too, but for health reasons. I was not granted this accommodation despite them being willing to do it for someone else for non-health related reasons.

I also called in sick a couple of times because working these hours was took such a physical toll on my body and mind. Unfortunately, I had told my boss about my chronic health problem and I was given a warning, and a stern lecture in the boss’s office (just like Jacob was) about how I needed to just tough it out and it didn’t matter if I ill. “It would be great if we could accommodate everybody. But, the bottom line is that this is a business, and we are in this to make money. You’re a great sales person, but you aren’t allowed to call in sick for this reason ever again. If you do this again, your job is on the line.”

Because of the fact that they were totally distrustful of me, this made me have to come in to work when I caught the same illness (cold or flu) as other employees who were allowed to stay home. If I didn’t sound super horse and raspy and plugged up over the phone to an extreme degree, I had to go in. So, vomiting and diarrhea were not even things I could call in sick for anymore. All of the other employees were allowed to call in sick for bugs that had those symptoms. It was total discrimination because my boss and floor manager didn’t respect my needs and didn’t even take my chronic illness seriously because it was something they knew almost nothing about.

Eventually, working the hours they insisted I work took such a toll on me that I had to cut down to 2 to 3 shifts a week. Eventually, after 3 or so years I was in such rough shape I needed to temporarily work one shift a week. There was an old lady who worked at the store only on Sundays, so I knew this was something that theoretically could be done for me. But, my boss didn’t accept my need. He told me that I had to continue working a minimum of two shifts a week and that I had to quit if I wouldn’t accept that. I ended up quitting, even though I felt the circumstances were totally discriminatory and unethical (and just plain cruel).

My boss asked me to write a letter to say why I was quitting and then hand it in. I wrote that they were forcing me too because I needed to work one shift a week for a temporary amount of time and they wouldn’t grant it (despite granting it for another employee). My boss read the letter and said the company disagreed with this reasoning. He then wrote a letter for me and told me to sign it. I was feeling so horrible by this point, and was young and naive and very pressured to sign the letter. I was made to feel like I had to. That this was just protocol. But, the letter completely left out all of the true reasoning for what happened. I also just needed to put that discriminatory place behind me, so I signed the letter and left.

After everything that happened I was 99% sure I would not be eligible for E.I.

Now that I am older and wiser, if this ever happened again at least no that I do not have to sign their letter and would still be free to walk away. At the time this happened though, I think I was also concerned about losing an employment reference because I didn’t have a lot of employment experience yet. It was such an awful time in my life. And, it taught me never to disclose the nature of my chronic illness to any employer ever again unless I know them and their character extremely well and can tell that it would be safe to do so. Had I lied the entire time and said that I had the flu and was vomiting on those two occasions I called in sick because of this chronic health problem then I could have avoided a lot of the problems. And, had I said I was going to school and had a morning class, I may have been assigned shifts at times that didn’t make me sick.

The treatment that Jacob has experienced I know very well. And, this needs to change. It is unacceptable and I am glad he is making this public. It compelled me to share my story publicly on here too. I hope it helps.

-Holly

• Jamie Cormier says:

I’m very sorry for the treatment you received. I had a liver transplant 27 years ago and in the past I received some tough treatment from bosses because I got sick. Thankfully I work at London Drugs on Yates and my bosses are amazing and so kind when I have been unwell, I’m currently going through a bad health bout and they’re so concerned about how I am and genuinely care. I really hope things get better for you and you get employed somewhere that will give you the respect and care you deserve.

• Tracy Lauren says:

Perhaps both sides should be heard before any judgements are made as it’s easy to take one side without being privy to all the facts. Circumstances are not always as they seem (and I see these kinds of cases often). Just bear that in mind when reading this article.

• Necrous says:

This is a violation of BC Labour Laws. As JJ mentioned, this has precedent in court cases. I’m actually going to boycott shopping there, as that is really the only thing I can do other than sharing this.

• Dillon Hunt says:

The Market on Yates is easily one of the worst places I have ever worked at. I was there for 1.5 years and have seen it all. They have such a high turnover rate, the managers couldn’t care less about you and the staff love to gossip and create rumors. I would honestly rather be unemployed than work there. Save yourself the misery and don’t apply there.

• Elec Man says:

I suffered from anxiety for 10 years. It took me years of personal commitment to better myself.

I am appalled by the actions of Doug Bourque, and Darryl Hein. Shame on both of you guys.
    From this day forward, I will never shop there again.
    EVER!

Besides, we call it “The Mark Up on Yates.”

• Super Supervisor says:

I too worked at the Market on Yates a few years back. Meat Department as well, in fact, though not while Bryan was in that department. I can honestly say my experience there was horrible. I was there for a year exactly, and in that time I observed verbal abuse, racism, sexism, homophobia(all of this toward both customers and other employees), and tormenting of overweight people. Sadly, all of the aforementioned things came from a single man named Vince who also worked(and, unbelievably, still works) in the meat department. In fact, I do believe he was the guy that assaulted Bryan. My own personal experience with him was just as unpleasant, as I was mercilessly bullied the entire time I was there, despite being a very hardworking employee who rarely called in sick. I believe the real problem lies with the management there, as I went to them a few times with eyewitnesses as to what went on, and I was simply either ignored, or told to just suck it up and get along with him. The third and final time I attempted to go to the meat manager regarding an issue with Vince I was met with a sigh and a “what now?”. I immediately took it to the store manager at the time, Daryl, who did exactly nothing about it.

In the end I quit and have since moved on to greener pastures, but through the contact I have kept with a few of the employees still there, I have heard many stories of the near-constant cycle of people who have quit because of this same person, and the complete lack of caring or interest from management. Simply typing out this story moves me to anxiety as I revisit the memories of this place.

That was all just the tip of the iceberg. Don’t even get me started on their foodsafe practices ie, fish being left in the counter for 8-10 days at a time and still being sold to customers despite turning yellow and reeking. Not to mention their complete lack of recordkeeping as to what’s been put in the counter and when. But I digress.

• Bryan Cathers says:

Yes you are completely right; Vince physically assaulted me while working at the meat department. At the time of the incident I was also still in high school and he was well into his 20s. I was cutting up chicken, when he grabbed me by the shirt collar and pulled me out of the chicken room lifting me off the floor briefly (he is a very tall person), dragged me out of the room and told me to serve a costumer who was in front of us (I was also holding a large sharp knife when he pulled me out of the room). The man did not want help yet (he was still browsing and I knew that, but Vince didn’t or something) and he looked shocked by what happened. I was young and scared so I didn’t say anything, but witnesses told management about it. Vince harassed me the entire time I worked in the meat department (about 5 years) and on one occasion a couple years after he assaulted me, I served some costumers at the seafood end of the counter then when I helped them I started walking to the sausage end to help another couple. Vince stopped me before I got there and bitched at me for not helping costumers (he wasn’t helping them when he should have). I told him I have to walk to them first and I can’t teleport from seafood to the other end. He lost his cool and screamed that I was FUCKING PIECE OF GARBAGE in front of many costumers. He was given polite talking too and he ignored me for a while after that, however he harassed others anyways. A little birdie told me that Vince might be made the Meat department assistant manager. What a fucking joke! The produce assistant manager is just as bad as Vince btw. People like them harassed me until I just couldn’t do my job anymore. I was eventually fired from the produce department and leaving the market was one of the best things that ever happened to me, cause I have never been so mistreated and disrespected before or since. I’ve gone on the some much greener pastures now.

Thanks to anyone who read this novel of a comment!
      Its hard to think about my time there with people like Vince and Collin.

The market may look like a nice juicy apple on the outside, but it’s rotten to the core!

• Nicole Ashlee says:

I’m sorry this happened to you. I have anxiety as well, and it makes it SO much worse when people don’t understand or have compassion.
    To say it’s like a hangover is to say that you intentionally inflict it on yourself. From someone whose had anxiety attacks, i know no one would ever give themselves one intentionally.
    I hope you find a new job soon, with a healthier environment.
    Personally, I will not shop there anymore until yes, there is an apology and there is a change in policy.
    Time permitting, I will call the Market on Yates and speak to the management.
    Again, I’m sorry this happened to you

• Lannette Inouye says:

This is appalling! Anxiety is most definitely a crippling illness!! They have no right to treat any of you employees like this. I have been a customer for several years and always loved how you put the customer first! So patient and approachable..I hated the price of many items sold at the Market on Yates and the only thing keeping me as a customer is all the amazing service workers there!

In support of your cause and every service staff employed there; I am BOY COTTING The Market on Yates at Victoria BC Canada!! I will NEVER Step foot back in there again!! #BoyCottMarketOnYates

• Janice Cochrane says:

I have never worked for this employer, but I have had my own struggles with ptsd and anxiety. It is a medical condition and treatment like this by an employer would amplify it. Shame on this employer and their treatment of this employee! I will spend no more of my money to support a business that treats employees in this way.

• Delaney Barlow says:

I worked at the Market on Millstream and it was essentially the same thing – horrible treatment of staff. I was an exemplary employee and it was safe to say that I was favoured by the Front End Manager (who is still the FE manager, I believe). I would come in on days off to cover shift and my schedule was open to her. One Sunday, I was ill with food poisoning and I called in sick with more then enough notice for my shift to be covered. I hadn’t been able to keep anything down since Saturday and left a message saying I was going to the clinic, hoping for a gravel shot or even fluids if needed. She left me a voicemail saying that she would require a doctors note that I would not be reimbursed for. I was so upset in the clinic, thinking that my employer didn’t believe me and it definitely affected me when trying to rest. When the doctor saw me, he saw how upset I was and he suggested I take a few days off from work. My mum picked me up and insisted that she bring in the doctors note to the FE Manager, which, wrote me off work for three days. My mum told me that the FE Manager seemed very lovely and sympathetic and perhaps I just caught her at a bad moment. Fast forward to the next week, something still wasn’t sitting right with me. I asked to talk to the manager in her office and I said how I felt uncomfortable and perhaps that she didn’t believe me that I was sick. She admitted flat out that she did not believe me because I was “young” (I was in my early 20’s at the time) and she didn’t believe anyone that called in sick on a weekend, aka after partying. I was dumbfounded and I said that wasn’t fair for her to think that of me – regardless if it was her business or not, I’m someone that goes to a pub/bar maybe once a year. I told her that I thought I had proved myself as a great employee and I was uncomfortable with the treatment. She said she understood and it was settled but looking back, that was naive. My hours were cut almost immediately, she was cold to me in front of customers and staff to the point that CUSTOMERS and staff would point it out and ask if I was ok. She spread rumours about me to other staff which they asked me about. In the eight months that I worked there, I trained 15 cashiers whom had all quit by the time I left. Literally. 15. Cashiers. It amazes me that I stuck around as long as I did but I left the Market once I could find another job. Once Quality Foods opened, many, if not all of the staff that I knew there left the Market to be treated like human beings by an employer that valued them.

• IIAABB says:

Jacob: I suggest filing a complaint with the BC Human Rights Tribunal by Jan 29, 2017 based in the facts posted (respecting the 6 month time limit for filing complaints). Otherwise if you rely solely on this petition and it flops, and you miss the time limit, you might be out of luck for legal remedies. Check out http://www.bchrt.bc.ca/process/index.htm. Also familiarize yourself with the BC Human Rights Code so that you can identify which grounds you were discriminated on in which areas. Best of luck!

• Anxiety Guy says:

As someone who used to work at Market on Yates I am surprised and saddened to hear this story as my experience was much more positive. I never had a problem with the management or felt any bullying or toxic behaviour. They never raised their voice at me once and any time I made a mistake they were patient with me and while I never called in sick, I replaced others who called in sick making me think it was common practice for people to call in. I felt it was a good place to work for me since there was so many employees in the store that there wasn’t much pressure on any one worker to be perfect. I suppose I am lucky that I didn’t have to go through what Jacob did and I won’t think of them the same way again.

• Ta says:

Articles like this make me angry. I
    have suffered from “anxiety” for over 10 years. I was taking double my prescribed dosage of propranolol just to get through my shift. Do you know what I did? I quit my job! I have not had to take one more pill or have had another anxiety attack since. Everybody is so quick nowadays to blame other people for their problems. Of course employers don’t want you if you constantly can’t show up for your shift. Move on and find another minimum paying job. In the meantime don’t bring down a business that does more for their communities than most independent grocery stores. What is with this generation? Send me your address and I’ll ship you a box of tissues:)

• Bryan Cathers says:

Comments like this make me angry.

It might shock you to know that mental health issues are not necessarily caused by a lousy job. (If a workplace destroys your mental health, maybe there is something fundamentally wrong with the workplace btw).

Secondly it is not that easy to just quit your job, especially if you are a student and simply cannot work many jobs, because of class schedules and homework. A straw man argument about unreliable employees is irrelevant. The market managers will treat you poorly if only call in sick once a year and have a doctors note to prove the illness is real.

Many businesses do charitable work in our community besides the market, but maybe if businesses paid people fair wages, we wouldn’t need so much charity in our community anyways.

What’s the deal with your generation?
      Seems like there are many ignorant people in it who don’t understand how lousy the job market and wages are for young people since back in the day people without a highschool diploma could get could jobs and afford a middleclass lifestyle.

Why don’t you use your real name when posting here? Market on Yates management maybe? Or just like to trivialize mental health issues and the next generation anonymously?

Anyways you seem really upset people are criticizing a lousy overpriced grocerystore (lets be real, one which would be out of business if there was another one closer). Does the baby want a bottle? Send me your address and I’ll ship you one : )

• Double Eh says:

According to the post, he had to take a single day off for an anxiety attack after two years of employment. It does not appear that the anxiety was job related. It sounds like you read to paragraphs then jumped to conclusions.

• Leah says:

I have shopped here on and off but after reading this, i will no longer shop there. Jacob I am sincerely sorry this happened to you. Sending you lots of love in this but just remember dwelling on it won’t make things better. Anxiety is worrying about the future sometimes, so just take care of yourself <3

• caramelldansen says:

For a grocery store that really gouges its customers, I would like to think they would have the sense to pay you out and send you on your merry way. But no. Doug and Darryl sound like fvcking idiots and are digging their store into a hole.

I urge any readers here to take the 10 minute drive up to Whale Mart and do your shopping there. It is much cheaper. And if you don’t have a car, you’ll find that the difference in prices between Market on Yates and Whale Mart will be enough to buy you a car over a fairly short period of time.

And Jacob, you have a good case to present to the BC Human Rights Tribunal. If you have any co-workers who can attest to your quality of work and would be supportive of you, get in contact with them as they will be key witnesses if this does go to a hearing.

Lastly, I believe that this grocery store would be better managed by hyenas. My species really needs to be given a chance.

• Ta says:

Is whale mart a local store? I wonder if they donate all the hot dogs/buns/pop and condiments to the rotary club like the market does? Or to all the other fundraising events that happen?

• caramelldansen says:

Instead, the savings are passed onto the consumer and into the pockets of the higher ups. I’d prefer to keep the money in my den than some “rotary club,” even if it means I am funding some CEO’s 6th vacation home.

• Ta says:

lol best reply!

• Bryan Cathers says:

Although Walmart is not a local store it also donates within our community.

• sb123 says:

Jacob, I hope you will consider legal action on this case, nobody deserves to be treated the way you were. I have studied mental illness, depression, anxiety attacks etc. If somebody told you they are in the same category as hangovers, that is shocking– and breaks my heart. Thank you for brining this to the attention of the public.

• Lance Shaver says:

This is disheartening to hear how this employee was treated, although I do want to hear the employers views on what happened.

Regardless, employers need to do a better job of treating their employees and handling situations that involve mental illness, especially when mental health is the leading cause of disability in Canada, with one in five Canadians will experience a problem with mental health or addictions in any given year. [1] At the very least, you would hope that a business-operator would recognize that mental health is an incredible burden on our economy, costing us $51B per year, [2] and the cost of leave due to a mental illness is nearly twice that of the costs due to physical illness. [3] Mental Illness is serious employers like this need to wake up. This employer is stigmatizing mental illness, likening it to lazy and immature behaviour, and causing undue distress on the health and wellbeing of this employee. This in and of itself is reprehensible.

The employer must make amends for this whole ordeal. Learning of the so-described ‘toxic work environment,’ it would be pertinent for all of these employees to come together with the owner and management, and allow an open dialogue to address these issues. At the very least, the owner should learn a bit about mental health, stigma, and how it affects our whole community.

Incredibly shameful to see from a local business. You could do so much better.

References:
    [1] http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/about_camh/newsroom/for_reporters/Pages/addictionmentalhealthstatistics.aspx
    [2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=historysearch&querykey=17
    [3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20595909

• JN says:

Finally. If only Ernie Skinner knew. I will no longer shop there.

The Market On Yates management…Daryl, Matt, Doug ( others included) are complete assholes. I have witnessed excruciating behaviour by each and every one of them including bullying, abuse, partying and completely unprofessional and outdated business style.

The work environment is toxic and abusive.

Hopefully one day they realize that treating employees like human beings is what everyone else is doing, no wonder the staff is trickling into Whole Foods.

I encourage the staff there to use their voice. This place is bad news.

• Katie Prior says:

Hey everyone, please consider posting this on the Market’s social media pages (Twitter and Facebook) @themarketstores !

• sb123 says:

I did, but they are deleting all the posts 🙁

• Bryan Cathers says:

You should post later in the afternoon when the person who manages their social media is not there : )

It would be up for a while before someone changed it the next morning.

• sb123 says:

Yes, they seem to be pretty on top of deleting it! Oh well…. I hope the media picks up this to report in order to spread awareness of The Market’s poor practices.

• Bryan Cathers says:

their facebook page says “Facebook messages are responded to 7am-6pm Mon-Fri. 9am-5pm Sat-Sun.”
      If anyone wants something on their page for a little while posting it past these times would be best.

• Jillian Lang says:

I don’t work for the Market on Yates, but on July 20, 2016, I was accused of shoplifting for buying spices. I admittedly disobeyed the rules to use a basket and instead was stuffing groceries into a reusable grocery bag. The young security guard approached me cautiously and told me to put my groceries in a basket, which he fetched for me, and I did. But there was this annoying mystery shopper butting her misinformed head into my business, and the security guard continued following me around, and then demanded to search my purse for stolen spices that the mystery shopper insisted I stole. I was livid and shaking at this point, after being a regular customer at the Market on Yates for twelve years, there were obviously no stolen goods hanging out in my purses. I freaked out at the security guard, who responded by telling me they were cracking down on the riff raff from Tent City. If it were possible to sue the Market on Yates for defamation of character, I would. I arrived home and immediately called the shift manager and tore a strip off his back. Then I contracted a flash cold from being so upset, and couldn’t hang out with my little brother (who I hadn’t seen in almost two years) for the rest of his visit. Now I only shop at Market on Yates for goods I can’t find anywhere else, and it’s not a friendly place to shop. It’s pretty clear at this point that the Market on Yates is poorly managed. All the best to you, Jacob. I hope you can find a friendlier, more welcoming place to work. You’re clearly sensitive to toxic energy. So am I!

• Garth Caron says:

I would report them to BC Labour Standards, and get unions involved to picket the store. Really disgusting management!

• Georgia Parsons says:

This is hugely discriminatory. As someone who suffers from anxiety as well I will no longer be giving them my business.

• Brian says:

I worked in produce and the guys who led the team were lazy uneducated in the market and bullies to say the least. No real desire to want to move up when I’m being led by a bunch of jerks/lazy people.

• Pamella Moon says:

I too was bullied by management – both in my department and by Doug and Darryl. The environment was so toxic I would have anxiety going to work every single day. I ended up quitting and never going back – neither does any of my family who still lives in the area

• Bla Bla Bla says:

And I don’t use this word very much….but Daryls bitch of a wife Christine…they tend to discriminate the disabled, bigger women, those with mental illness or those who look like they are poor. I worked at the location in Langford

• KE says:

This doesn’t surprise me. I worked at the market on millstream for over a year. Daryl Hein came off as heartless and cold. The manager was the same way. They don’t give a fuck about their employees. I don’t shop there and neither does anyone I know.

• Bryan Cathers says:

The management at the market on yates is terrible. When i worked there in the meat department they got angry that i would clean the grinder before switching meats. I told them that meat contaminated with pork was being sold to Muslims and others who not eat pork and they didn’t care at all. They ended up getting another grinder after i left the department. The assistant manager in the produce department also constantly harassed me and called me a f*g!

• Pamella Moon says:

I worked in meat too. I got my hand stuck in the grinder and had to get my finger tip sewn back on – when I returned to work to gather my things I found out they did not shut down the grinder and clean it after I had bled through it. I was harassed for leaving work and only given one day off. I did not return to work after I called in the 2nd and 3rd day – my finger kept ripping open and bleeding everywhere!

• pastoralist says:

Please note that non-unionized employees are advised to go to TAPS Employment Standards Legal Advocacy Project – it’s free – http://www.tapsbc.ca/services/workers Call us at (250) 361-3521 Visit us at #302 – 895 Fort Street

• pastoralist says:

I will phone them right now.

• Khalela Leilani says:

Thank you for coming forward, Jake! I called and left a message for the manager voicing my concerns about the work environment of the store and made clear that response’s such as “it’s a private matter” or “there are two sides to every story” does not comfort me as a patron or workers rights advocate. Beyond an apology, I would like a response from the manager explaining his understanding of appropriate procedures for responding to mental health issues in the workplace so that I know that other employees experiencing mental health issues are not being discriminated against.

• Tracy Lauren says:

It is unlikely that you will hear anything – and that shouldn’t be mistaken for guilt. If Jacob has engaged in any legal action the manger and owner would have been advised not to say anything on the matter.

• Sarah Smith says:

They would never, and should never, speak to a member of the public about Jacob and what “their version of events” is. This is a confidential matter. I hope Jacob receives justice.

• Andrew Clippingdale says:

Having worked for these guys many years ago, I can confirm that the work environment there was toxic. Sounds like it hasn’t changed much.

• Tony Sprackett says:

I am a frequent customer at Market on Yates. I intend to speak with the owner and / or manager. I am concerned about my grocery dollars going to support a merchant that doesn’t play by the rules. That said, my many years of experience as a shop steward has taught that one should never take an action – such as a boycott, as I would consider – without hearing the other side of the story.

I would encourage others who are concerned to ask for a similar conversation. And I hope that Jacob will pursue all avenues available to get justice. The story, as presented here, is certainly enough to raise my concerns as a patron of the store.

• ljd007 says:

Like they are going to admit this to you or anyone

• Tony Sprackett says:

Fair enough, but you start somewhere.

• Bryan Cathers says:

Just stop shopping there; your money is supporting a business which constantly mistreats its employees. Save yourself some money and shop somewhere with better prices (and ethics) and with less of a rat problem. Voice your concerns to them, but they will NEVER admit to a single % of the way they treat employees or talk about the costumers behind their backs.

• caramelldansen says:

Exactly. I honestly don’t know why people even bother shopping at Market on Yates when Whale Mart is only a few minutes up the road. Shop there and save a good chunk of money every month.

Even the people with a SJW mindset “buy local” should realize that they are fighting for a lost cause. Just give in to the giant already and be done with it. At least Whale Mart would have handled this situation better.

• chauntelle parrish says:

Planet Organic is another one.

• Eric Nordal says:

This happens way too often in the service industry. This is a human rights issue and the management should be ashamed.

• JJ says:

Here, for example, is a human rights tribunal decision about a worker being discriminated against by Thriftys for their depression – they won. If what you say is true your case is even stronger because you asked for accomodation and then experienced retaliation: http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bchrt/doc/2012/2012bchrt376/2012bchrt376.html?resultIndex=1

Here is a full list of BC Human Rights tribunal cases regarding discrimination in employment: http://www.bchrt.bc.ca/human-rights-duties/remedies/compensation/fired.htm

• JJ says:

Have you considered filing a Human Rights Tribunal complaint? It’s against the law to discriminate against people for mental health reasons.

• fizbanic says:

Been there and I have never seen or felt I was being discriminated against. As I see it there is no discrimination here.

I hate these things, we are getting half the story and hearsay. It is written where we are supposed to feel sorry for the person. It clearly could have been summed up in one paragraph easily but instead we get a story designed to pull at our heart strings.

“I was fired after (enter amount of years of service) and I started having serious anxiety issues. I ask about sick pay and that was it”

• Double Eh says:

The fact that the store gave two weeks working notice is an acknowledgement that it recognized that it did not have just cause to fire the employee. It’s very likely that this employee has no misconduct documented on his file and thus there as no legitimate reason for firing the employee.

Unfortunately, in many cases like this, everything is hearsay. Owners and Managers are generally smart enough not to put anything incriminating in writing. When they call you into their office, it’s partly so that there can be no third party witnesses.

I strongly encourage this individual to file a formal complaint with the BC Employment Standards Branch. In my experience, it’s an effective means of ensuring you receive the wages that you are claiming. They might even be thankful that you didn’t file a human rights complaint 😉

• Double Eh says:

The fact that the store gave two weeks working notice is an acknowledgement that it recognized that it did not have just cause to fire the employee. It is very likely that this employee has no misconduct documented on his file and there is no legitimate reason for firing the employee.

I strongly encourage this individual to file a formal complaint with the BC Employment Standards Branch. In my experience, it is an effective means of ensuring you receive the wages that you are claiming. The employer might even be thankful that you didn’t file a human rights complaint 😉

• fizbanic says:

“The fact that the store gave two weeks working notice is an acknowledgement that it recognized that it did not have just cause to fire the employee.”

Go read up on the laws in regards to termination. After a certain amount of time an employee has to be given notice of their termination. After 3 years it is 2 weeks notice.

The rest of your comment still is hearsay and speculation as there is only one side of the story.

• Double Eh says:

Nope. You are incorrect. If you terminate an employee with just cause you do not have to give them compensation or give notice.

• fizbanic says:

Check again, you have to give notice. Although http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/factsheets/termination-of-employment

does state you don’t have to, however when you look at the just cause it does list to give notice or compensation in regards to a just cause termination.

• Double Eh says:

Read the links you posted. They prove *exactly* what I have stated now twice:

“Notice or compensation is not required if:
      …The employee is dismissed for just cause”

“An employer does not have to give written notice or compensation for length of service to an employee who is dismissed for “just cause”.”

• ljd007 says:

Lol you are determined to be right at any cost fizz especially the truth. First of all sick pay is not optional and is defintely not a manager decision. Labour laws are quite explicit about it. Especially when there documented reasons, such as anxiety
      Secondly You think everyone else is spewing hearsay but refuse to accept it as
      exactly what you are doing. Giving notice is a courtesy, and is a social norm, that said If you are an abusive person you cant truly expect to be given any courtesy in return…Some call it karma

• caramelldansen says:

Jacob is concerned about sick pay, not just the severance. And even with the severance, you can’t fire someone on a protected ground (disability in this case).

The way this was handled and if he was indeed told to “man up” is just a shitty job by the manager and owner.

• Double Eh says:

I recognize that he’s going after them for sick pay, not a severance. Considering he was seen by a physician and provided a doctor’s note it will be a pretty cut and dry case should a formal complaint be pursued.

I was using the severance/notice example in response to fizbanic’s claim that the post was entirely hearsay. There are some objective facts that can be obtained from it.

• Cassie Montgomery says:

You know what? There may be 2 sides to every story but I am Jacob’s sister and witnessed his work ethic. While tons of employees called in regularily for hangovers (which Jacob never had because he has barely ever drank anything in his life….) and weren’t denied sick pay, I watched Jacob go into work time and time again when he felt like death.. I’d say “just stay home.. You’re so sick” and he’d always say, “no, I have to go.. I need this job and I don’t want to make anyone mad.” Even if he had thrown up that morning. His anxiety/panic attack (which unless you’ve had one like he had, you have NO idea what that feels like and there is no way to work through that. I’ve experienced them far more severely since my little boy, Jacob’s nephew, had brain cancer. ) was one of the first times in 2 years that he ever called in. They used to go on about how reliable he was. It’s quite typical, really, to be far harder on your most reliable and hardworking employees because you’ve come to depend on them. So in the end they get no slack. And on the comment of 2 years being mentioned to “pull at your heart strings” no, it’s to emphasize how long he went at a low paying shitty job like this without missing anytime sick or not and suddenly he’s getting targeted after one incident that was legitimate. And being told panic attacks are the same as a hangover.. Just ridiculous. And insulting. For the little and rarity he drinks, it’s NEVER been on a night before work. How come they don’t target all the people calling in regularity for actual hangovers who see this place for what it is? A non career shitty job. I told you, Jacob. You should have applied at Canada Post when we told you they were hiring. You would have an actual career now. Know why he didn’t even with an in? For some reason he was loyal to these guys. 2 sides to every story…. There is so much he DIDN’T say.

• fizbanic says:

Being his sister I would say your view is biased, no offence meant but as a relative you have an urge to protect him. I know, as a father I would do the same thing, as a father I would have to remind myself that my view would be biased and anything I do can do more harm than good.

All I read was your Jacob’s sister, I didn’t bother with the rest as your view is biased.

My point also still stands and will continue to stand as there is two sides to the story and the only one qualified to tell it is not you, but those that fired him.

• Patrick Longworth says:

Cold hearted.

• fizbanic says:

Can’t help it if the truth comes out that way.

As I said as a father/family member I would want to help and but that I mean staying back and not muddying up the waters.

• ljd007 says:

You think you are telling a truth, when all you are showing how bitter you are as a human being.

• ljd007 says:

Just another keyboard bully who cant even man up and use a open profile and his real name
      Sigh

• Patrick Longworth says:

If you are referring to me, I am not a bully but have been bullied. Have you? Perhaps you could identify who you are referring to in your answer ljd007?

• Patrick Longworth says:

Who are you referring to?

• Cassie Montgomery says:

Yea, you just sound like management or friends with someone there. Lol. I could tell you we aren’t the kind of family to stick together no matter what and to biasly defend to the death and that I am the first to tell him off when I disapprove of him but there is no point because YOUR bias is shining through. 🙂 No point in talking to a wall. Cheers.

• Jim says:

You’re absolutely correct, so why not get someone from The Market on Yates to share their side of the story?

Whilst you claim that she is biased, if she is factual, then that is what really matters.

• fizbanic says:

I won’t jump to believe her right off the bat, as it is a private matter you already know the answer why I couldn’t ask.

• Bryan Cathers says:

Argumentum ad hominem is a logical fallacy…

• Patrick Longworth says:

Very unsympathetic of you!

• fizbanic says:

No unsympathetic would be knowing that what he says is 100% the truth and then saying “oh well too bad”.

It is not unsympathetic to want to dig in and find the truth. It is not unsympathetic to point it out.

• ljd007 says:

There is no quest for the truth in what you are doing you are nothing more then a keyboard bully…Hiding behind a private profile with a fake name….Hope you feel good about your self.

• Bryan Cathers says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if fizbanic is some management type from the market trying to sow doubt. Talk to anyone who has worked at the Market on yates or millstream and they will have many horror stories to tell of unsafe work environments, bullying/ intimidation, sexual harassment and physical altercations not to mention the rat infestations. What reason do you even have to doubt these stories anyways? You can pretend the people that run the Market are nice people, but it’s not the truth. It is a terrible work environment that preys on vulnerable employees who don’t know their rights. It’s amazing that anyone employed there could even be motivated to work after all the bullshit they put people through. They seriously suck the life out of people until they either quit or just stop caring about the job and get fired.

Fizbanic, how would you feel being harassed everyday at work? And bull shit you want to “dig in and find the truth.” What are you gonna do call the market and talk to a manager? I’m sure they will give you a totally unbiased opinion on the matter ; )

And they’ll also tell you how great their prices are and that they pick local first… (Worst prices in town and they don’t even pick Canada first!)

Well good luck convincing nobody that Jacob is in the wrong.

By the way, the other side of the story is that they don’t give a fuck about their employees and they can just replace anyone cause working in a grocery store isn’t exactly skilled labor.

• fizbanic says:

On disability thanks.

However you lack logic, I would be arguing against anything having ever happened, instead I want to hear both sides of the story. Management wouldn’t bother to ask if you took a minute to think.

• Bryan Cathers says:

You can’t empathize cause you don’t have have a job?

I have never lived through a war, but seeing others’ suffering breaks my heart. (NOT saying you don’t empathize with victims of war btw).

Anyways here is the number for the Market on Yates:

250 – 381 – 6000.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this.

• Ta says:

Really? Talk to anyone who has worked there? So you’re saying everybody who has worked at the market on Yates/millstream has been bullied, intimidated, sexually harassed and physically abused?

• Bryan Cathers says:

NO I’m saying that they have stories, NOT necessarily that they themselves have been victims of poor treatment (as a linguistics major I’m nitpicky about semantics), however I would say that MOST employees have been treated unprofessionally and even some department managers have been pressured by their superiors, although most managers aren’t treated that way. There is a small group of maybe 15 employees at the market on Yates that get good treatment/wages and have worked there for many years, but most employees make minimum wage (or close to it) and either quit or get fired in a short amount of time. Cashiers especially tend not to last very long at the market.

• Bryan Cathers says:

Management at the market is truly awful. After working at the Market on Yates for 7 years I can safely say that staff are treated terribly. I saw many of my coworkers harassed and threatened over calling in sick, being told to do things that were unsafe or illegal. I heard managers brag between themselves that the Market is great cause they keep wages low. While working in the meat department I was physically assaulted by a coworker (who still works there and bullies coworkers) and I saw things that would make you think twice about eating meat from the market. While working in the produce department, I was constantly harassed by the assistant manager, Collin, who would follow me around calling me a f*gg*t, a retard, a f*cking this or that, etc. One time he called me into the produce office to complain that I had done a terrible job a couple days before. I was actually at my grandfather’s funeral (the department was well aware of it) and when I told him I wasn’t even there that day he paused a second then decided he meant another day and complained about that instead. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing! The market on Yates is a horrible place to work and it’s also infested with rats! Don’t waste your money on over priced products available in any other store in Victoria for cheaper.

• ljd007 says:

Been there how?

As a customer of course you wouldnt see it
      like most bullies they prefer the dark areas. I understand that there
      are at least two more sides to the story but it begins with exposure by one..